The Dark Lord of the Milky Way
by Tom Chao
Lynds’ Dark Nebula (LDN) 1622 demonstrates the evolution of stars. Star formation results from the collapse of giant clouds of molecular gas and dust. The stars eventually emerge into visibility with their blue light scattering and reflecting off dust particles present in the gas. LDN 1622 lies near the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy, close on the sky to Barnard’s Loop. LDN 1622 is situated perhaps only 500 light-years away.
(via: Space.com) (photo: Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope/Coelum)
From Astronomy Picture Of The Day; August 25, 2011:Portrait of NGC 281
J-P Metsävainio (Astro Anarchy)
Look through the cosmic cloud cataloged as NGC 281 and it’s almost easy to miss stars of open cluster IC 1590. But, formed within the nebula, that cluster’s young, massive stars ultimately power the pervasive nebular glow. The eye-catching shapes looming in this portrait of NGC 281 are sculpted columns and dense dust globules seen in silhouette, eroded by intense, energetic winds and radiation from the hot cluster stars. If they survive long enough, the dusty structures could also be sites of future star formation. Playfully called the Pacman Nebula because of its overall shape, NGC 281 is about 10,000 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia. This composite image was made through narrow-band filters, but combines emission from the nebula’s hydrogen, sulfur, and oxygen atoms in a visible spectrum palette. It spans over 80 light-years at the estimated distance of NGC 281.
Libya: The International Response
- This is the list of countries that currently recognizes the NTC: Albania, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Britain, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Gambia, Germany, Greece, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Maldives, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Palestinian Authority, Panama, Portugal, Qatar, Senegal, Slovenia, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United States. /Al Jazeera Live Feed
- China has not recognized the NTC, but essentially sends its best wishes, saying: “We have always attached significance to the important role of the National Transitional Council in solving Libya’s problems, and maintain contact with it.”/BBC Live Feed
- Russia’s Dmitry Medvedev has said that they would consider formal relations if the NTC proves that they can provide a “new democratic start.”/Reuters
- The European Union is working to unfreeze Libyan assets and remove sanctions, and is pursuing a UN resolution in the initial stages to do so./Al Jazeera Live Feed
- The US is also working to unfreeze the Libyan assets they hold./US Dept of State
- NATO’s Admiral Giampaola di Paolo says that “ the game is not over yet. Therefore we will continue the mission to uphold the UN resolution” And also that ”there may be other boots on the ground, but not Nato.” /BBC Live Feed
- NATO, which has been striking in and around Tripoli today, also says that it is not their job to find Gaddhafi. /BBC Live Feed
Photo: Libyan children celebrate in Janzour. Photo Credit: Ismail Zitouny/Reuters